this flim is 100 flams old

organic and free range
vom
Site Admin

Re: this flim is 100 flams old

Post by vom »

I've also seen The Hands of Orlac (didn't really like it) and The Iron Horse (not bad but so looooong) from 100 years ago
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

hooray. i might watch that too then (unless its like 8 hours or something)
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

also from 1924 i have seen one buster keaton flim (sherlock jr - which i'm going to watch again tomorrow), and also this:

https://accumulationofthings.com/100/20 ... rcle-1924/
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

ooh nice, I haven't seen any of the early / silent Lubitsch films. that sounds good!

Iron Horse is 2.5 hours I think. It has some good stuff in it but it's very dry
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

dng wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:22 pm also from 1924 i have seen one buster keaton flim (sherlock jr - which i'm going to watch again tomorrow)
Here it is

https://accumulationofthings.com/100/20 ... k-jr-1924/
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

I think this film might basically be perfect
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

ves

hooray
An Unicorn
Site Admin

Post by An Unicorn »

dng wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:58 pm also the baddie in this was called george brush
BOOM BOOM!
NOW, LET US LICK THE EGG
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

I finally watched Dr Mabuse the Gambler over the last week or so (because it's four and a half fucking hours long for some reason). It really didn't need to be that long but it was pretty good, especially the start (a big heist staged to mess up the stock market) and end (the supervillain's plans are in tatters and he is haunted by the ghosts of his victims). I also loved that it has a load of people with really weird faces in it, mostly to represent Mabuse's criminal cohorts.

It is 102 years old.
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

i've been neglecting my 100 years old film watching recently i'm afraid
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

mainly due to getting a cinema pass thing at the art gallery in colchester, which lets me watch as many films as i like for "free" (£99 for a year).

so i have gone to the cinema more times in the last two months than i've ever been before in total probably
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

anyway new films are rubbish and i hate them
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

(actually most of them have been quite good)
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

hooray

unlimited cinema is best cinema
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

these are the films i have seen so far:

The boy and the heron - wonderful ghibli ultrahorror

Next goal wins - perfectly fine football/comedy feelgood nonsense

Priscilla -not sofia coppola's worst film - due to it not being that utterly terrible bill murray one on on apple tv - but also not particularly good (or particularly bad). it did make elvis look like an absolute arsehole though, of which i heartily approve

Ferrari - adam driver is FERRARI, the owner of FERRARI, which is quite the coincidence. everyone speaks english in comedy italian accents, except for the brief second or so that stirling moss turns up, who speaks with english with a comedy posh english voice insteadshite, really, but the cars looked nice i suppose.

Poor Things - I liked this a lot hooray

Ice Cream Fever - I mentioned this in the book thread I think. this felt very 90s, even though it wasn't 90s at all, it was last year or something. but anyway i liked it quite a bit really. (everybody else in the cinema seemed to hate it)

Killers Of The Flower Moon - actually i didn't see this at the cinema but i could have done so i'm including it here just so i can moan about it being a bit shite (the first two hours were pretty good, and the the last hour or more were just a muddled mess where they appeared to forget what film they were making and why). lily gladstone was very good, though, and it's almost worth watching for that alone i suppose (robert de niro was laughably bad though, and fuck knows what was going on with leonardo dicaprio, who i think was supposed to be playing a man in his 20s even though he's about seven million years old)

The End We Start From - post apocalyptic thing where jodie comer wanders round a wet and miserable looking britain which doesn't really look any more wet and miserable than britain usually looks (especially this year). fine, but nothing particularly special

Samsara - this was filmed in laos and (i think) tanzania, using real people in the real places they lived, doing mostly the things they do, but also with some scripted stuff too. really slow and beautiful looking, with a fifteen minute bit in the middle where you're told to close your eyes and imagine you're dying. this was pretty wonderful and i'm glad i saw it at the cinema (it wouldn't be quite the same watching it on my laptop while i'm eating my lunch, presumably)

Voices In The Wind - impossibly sad film about a girl whose family were killed in the fukushima tsunami but never found. this was great, but spoiled a bit by the cinema's projector/laptop/whatever they were streaming it off breaking down ten minutes from the end, so i had to sit there and wait for 30 minutes before you got to see the (still impossibly sad) end scene. which was annoying

The Holdovers - I didn't really like this as much as some people seemed to, but it was decent enough (just felt a lot like lots of other kind of similar films about posh american schools/universities/ etc, really). the three main actors were all excellent but it all just felt a bit like a mash up of wonder boys and ferris buellers day off at times.

American Fiction - this was good and funny. I liked this a lot more than the holdovers, and jeffrey wright was brilliant (as always)

Thousand And One Nights - another japanese film, this was also about missing people, but it wasn't as good as the fukushima one.

Mondays! - fun japanese time travel film where everyone's stuck in a groundhog day style time loop in their office, but it takes them ages to notice because all their days are so repetitive already. sort of fizzles out a bit at the end but i liked it anyway

The Zone Of Interest - utterly bleak and horrifying. good, but yeah i'm never going to watch this again, obviously

Hit Me Anyone One More Time - japanese political satire/farce, about the shittest prime minister ever who gets amnesia and suddenly tries to be nice instead. decent enough, but not especially great. also the main actor in this is one of the main characters in yakuza like a dragon (the head gangster man who's the father figure character for the main guy you play), and it shows how weirdly good all the face tech/motion capture/acting animation is these days (or at least is in the yakuza games) that despite only ever having seen him in a computer game before i could recognise him immediately

The Settlers - ultra bleak and brutal chilean western about the horrors of colonialist genocide a hundred years or so ago. not perfect, but very good. i thought this was a much better film than killers of the flower moon on similar subject matter (and also half of the length)

Lonely Castle In The Mirror - pretty good japanese cartoon about a bunch of troubled teens who don't go to school but end up falling through magic mirrors to a castle in the sky. i read the book this was based on last year, and quite enjoyed it, even though at times it had the feel of some sort of very special episode of an america tv show about bullying or something. this still had a touch of that, but also upped the melodrama considerably towards the end, which was basically 30 inutes or so of everyone ivolved trying very hard to make you cry (and mostly succeeding)

The Taste Of Things - Juliette Binoche spends two and half hours making the most impossibly lavish food for a bunch of french aristocrats. mostly good, but also a bit odd towards the end (also it made me very hungry). this was directed by the man that directed norwegian wood, and this was probably kind of similar, in that it's all kind of distant and unemotional even though it feels like it should be the opposite really, all things considered.

Oppenheimer - a bit like killers of the flower moon, in that the first two hours or so are pretty good, and then the last hour is a load of boring courtroom scenes. i'm not sure why

Winny - then again, this was almost ALL courtroom scenes, or if not that scenes in a lawyers office, and i liked it a lot. this was about the man who made winny, some japanese version of bit torrent that i'd never heard of before, and how he was put on trial for making it because the police hated him because it installed a virus on their computers that allowed everyone to see how corrupt they were or something. anyway, it was quite interesting (especially after reading about nintendo doing this recently to some emulator makers - https://www.theverge.com/24098640/ninte ... -aftermath )

and that's all the films (next week i am going to see FOUR more films, including dune 2, and some film where all i know about it is that the poster is a picture of mads mikkelson on a horse)
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

£5 per film so far
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

vom wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:40 pm hooray

i looked on the website for that japanese touring film thing, and they only seem to be showing 10 of them here (out of 25 or something). now i feel short changed (out of my free films)
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

also i would have seen more films (including the new aki kaursimaki one), but some of their showings are at 11 o clock in the bloody morning. watching films before lunch is immoral and should not be allowed
blombluss
Site Admin

Post by blombluss »

dng wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:20 pm Next goal wins - perfectly fine football/comedy feelgood nonsense
I've just been reading up on that, and I'll be checking it out. Ta for the heads up!
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

I loved the documentary version of Next Goal Wins and I'm not really sure I want to see a version turned into an okay comedy
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

I really loved The Holdovers even though it definitely did feel like an idea that had already been done a lot. I kind of hated Zone of Interest and then I kind of hated myself for hating it and that was just a miserable experience all around really
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

dng wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:21 pm
vom wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:40 pm hooray

i looked on the website for that japanese touring film thing, and they only seem to be showing 10 of them here (out of 25 or something). now i feel short changed (out of my free films)
In Derby they showed half of them in February, which I didn't go to because I was writing songs / buying houses, and the other half this weekend

I will probably try to see a couple more today although my cats have woken me up at 6am so I might be too tired
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

the new Aki Kaurismaki film was the best film I saw all of last year but I will concede that I'm absurdly biased in that direction

Also I quite liked the Bill Murray apple Sofia Coppola film, more than The Bling Ring at least. I think Priscilla is on Mubi now so I'll probably watch it on there

Also also Mondays! sounds great
An Unicorn
Site Admin

Post by An Unicorn »

dng wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 pm It's about the same i think. Except with a spanish titlecard, which was quite exciting.

The problem with old silent films is a combination of old terrible film being transferred to old terrible video being transferred to old terrible internet video means everything becomes a hellish conglomerate of a trillion different types of compression artefects, and by the time you try and watch it on some 80th iteration on youtube half of everyones faces have been erased and its impossible to see what anything is at all
This is a very excellent breakdown
NOW, LET US LICK THE EGG
Pual

Post by Pual »

I watched Damsel on Netflix which had the utterly original idea of the princess not being a damsel that absolutely nobody has done before.

Starring the girl from stranger things who for some reason is Ray Winston’s daughter.
Pual

Post by Pual »

I thought it would be funny but it was played absolutely straight and actually I quite liked it.
endar
Site Admin

Post by endar »

i saw a bit of Ferrari round my parents

the cars did indeed look very nice
vom
Site Admin

Post by vom »

vom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:29 am I will probably try to see a couple more today although my cats have woken me up at 6am so I might be too tired
Hooray I managed to see two more and they were both good. Yoko (ultra depressing movie about Rinko Kikuchi hitchhiking to a funeral) and Sabakan (basically a Japanese Stand by Me)

All four of these seemed to want to break my heart in one way or another. Not sure if that was common to the whole programme
blombluss
Site Admin

Post by blombluss »

I thought the Ferrari film was about radio gobshite Nick Ferrari? I wondered why there were so many cars in it.
blombluss
Site Admin

Post by blombluss »

The computre and videotronic gaem The Sims is going to be truned into a film:
https://kotaku.com/sims-movie-margot-ro ... 1851355482

A film adaptation of Boulderdash can now only be a matter of time.