No manners, but what a critic

organic and free range
CandyDarling

No manners, but what a critic

Post by CandyDarling »

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/not ... 113128.amp
Anger as Netflix After Life bench in Nottingham destroyed by 'disgusting' vandals

Ricky Gervais hoped the bench would create a 'lasting legacy'
1_PHR_EM_22052022afterlifejpeg.jpg
1_PHR_EM_22052022afterlifejpeg.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 463 times
People in Nottingham have slammed the "disgusting" actions of vandals who appear to have destroyed Ricky Gervais' After Life bench which was donated to the Arboretum. The bench, which was installed in the park back in January this year, was meant for anyone who has recently lost someone or who may be struggling with their mental health.

Netflix has donated 25 benches for different areas across the UK - with two of them being in Nottingham at the Arboretum and Highfields Park. But, on Sunday, May 22, the bench appeared to have been destroyed - with planks of wood lying on top of each other. The message 'Hope is Everything' can be seen at the top of all that remains there - a plank of wood.
Ricky Gervais said after donating the benches: “We hope the benches will create a lasting legacy for After Life, as well as become a place for people to visit, and we are thrilled to be associated with CALM and the great work they do.”

A golden plaque inscribed on the benches reads: "This bench is donated by Netflix to commemorate Ricky Gervais."

The sheer naked cynical insincerity of that quote from Gervais, followed by the staggering inscription. It's not really about mental health, it's all about stroking Gervais's bloated ego. I feel more sorry for the people who have been tricked by him into thinking he's some sort of really great bloke, like how all the other characters in After Life have to endlessly repeat because Gervais himself comes across more like a weird sociopath in the show itself.

It's a shame Rowdy Roddy Piper is no longer with us, as I can imagine him rushing up to some old woman with those black and white glasses, screaming "PUT THESE ON". And then she does and sees the transcription is really "Ricky Gervais has the biggest nob and is super cool and knows absolutely all the BMX tricks you can do lol fat people". And the Netflix logo is just the head of that shit cartoon frog.

Also I think the vandals took one look at the word "Netflix", and thought "Fuck it".
dng
Site Admin

Re: No manners, but what a critic

Post by dng »

did ricky gervais make a sitcom about a park bench?
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

was it one of those park benches where you can press a button and some pre recorded voice tells you some local history except instead of local history its just ricky gervais being ironically racist or whatever it is he does these days
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

also i like the use of the word "appear" in the first sentence, next to a picture of the bench "appearing" to be completely destroyed
CandyDarling

Post by CandyDarling »

After Life is some bullshit sitcom he did on Netflix that is beloved by people who are victims of Ricky Gervais's personality cult. It's about a man called Tony (played by Gervais) who has cancer and therefore decides to become a nihilist instead of being an adult.

People watch it and say how moving it is, and then you see actual clips of it and it's got stuff like him making fun of a fat man in a park, and being ironically homophobic to the approval of the other characters (including thingy who plays Philomena Cunk), and throwing a plant pot or something through the back of someone's car window, and encouraging a junkie to commit suicide by deliberate overdose, and threatening a schoolchild with violence, and at no point do the police come round to his house. All the characters keep repeating how "kind" Gervais's character is, to the point of unintentional and grotesque self-parody.

Oh, and Stewart Lee recently posted this on his website, commenting on Gervais's standup:
Nearly twenty years on and Gervais' act is still made out of bits of my old stuff, either verbatim, or re-jigged and retooled for his own evil alt-right-light purposes. I didn't realise asking if I could quote his praise of me on a poster seventeen years ago meant I had entered a Faustian pact.
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

poor stewart lee
dng
Site Admin

Post by dng »

CandyDarling wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:07 pm After Life is some bullshit sitcom he did on Netflix that is beloved by people who are victims of Ricky Gervais's personality cult. It's about a man called Tony (played by Gervais) who has cancer and therefore decides to become a nihilist instead of being an adult.

People watch it and say how moving it is, and then you see actual clips of it and it's got stuff like him making fun of a fat man in a park, and being ironically homophobic to the approval of the other characters (including thingy who plays Philomena Cunk), and throwing a plant pot or something through the back of someone's car window, and encouraging a junkie to commit suicide by deliberate overdose, and threatening a schoolchild with violence, and at no point do the police come round to his house. All the characters keep repeating how "kind" Gervais's character is, to the point of unintentional and grotesque self-parody.

Oh, and Stewart Lee recently posted this on his website, commenting on Gervais's standup:
Nearly twenty years on and Gervais' act is still made out of bits of my old stuff, either verbatim, or re-jigged and retooled for his own evil alt-right-light purposes. I didn't realise asking if I could quote his praise of me on a poster seventeen years ago meant I had entered a Faustian pact.
more stewart lee / after life news

https://twitter.com/alreadytaken74/stat ... 1149730828
blombluss
Site Admin

Post by blombluss »

I love that clip, but he's wrong about The Office being brilliant. It was good, albeit derivative of The Day Today's 'The Office', and Victoria Wood's pseudo-documentary skits.